Wednesday, August 11, 2010

VI- Culture Changes

So far in this book, the culture of the time surprises me, I am not sure if it is just the characters Hemingway chose for the book or whether it is actually how people were. What stood out most i show Harvey called Cohn a moron to his face before Cohn said one significant thing. In the 21st century, that type of conversation would be out of line. I have seen this type of interaction earlier in the novel too. It makes me wonder whether the characters are being brutally honest, are speaking their mind, or are just trying to rub the other the wrong way. It is also the way that friends talk to each other in this book, although it is a little less harsh. So I have come to the conclusion that if it is the way of acting, then culture has come a long way from the 1920's and I'm glad I live in the 21st century.

1 comment: