Sunday, August 8, 2010

II- Alluison

I think this chapter is about midlife crisis that Robert Cohn faced when he read "The Purple Land" by W. H. Hudson. He did not have such a great life before the book because he was bullied in college, his wife left him, and he is rethinking his relationship with Francis, and this all took a toll on him. However, I think the book did it in for him. It showed him how he had been a failure compared to the man in the book. I think it showed him that his life was getting a little dull or boring and that he needed to become more like the man from the book who went on adventures in an "intensely romantic land." I feel sorry for him because he needs something to do to keep himself interesting. Ultimately, I think that everything is about girls for Cohn. He could not keep his wife, so Francis was nice to him, but controlling. Then other girls were nice, and he forgot about Francis, and now he wants to go to South America. This is a common case of the "I'm boring's and nobody like me's." If he heads off to this exotic place and brings back some exhilarating stories, maybe he thinks people will stick with him. However, another interesting thing about Cohn is that he won't go alone. He wants to go, but he refuses to go alone. This puts him between a rock and a hard place because he has never had the adventure that Jake did. Jake went to war and had his adventure, but Cohn never did and that is why going to South America is so important to him. I hope he gets his adventure because I think he'll be stuck if he doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment