Sunday, August 8, 2010

III- Stereotypes

I can't help but think that Hemingway used a stereotype in his most famous novel. I think I heard somewhere that when an author relies on a stereotype then they are inexperienced. However, I don't think Hemingway ever wrote something that didn't have an explicit purpose. Anyway, I think he portrayed Paris in its stereotypical manner, but having never been to Paris I don't really know what it is really like. I do know the stereotypes and it is famous for being a city of loose people and morals and for being a dirty city. I think that Hemingway had his characters start out in Paris and continue on their journey to other places to prove a point and show growth, but that could just be me. I think it is to show where the characters started out mentally and psychologically and to set a clear beginning. Then, as the characters travel and meet new people, the changes start to show up. It is kind of like rising to the climax of their growth and then falling down with new insights.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. I didn't think about the traveling as a representation of the group learning/growing. Well done Megan! I think its true, do to the major conflicts and plot during the trip to Spain.

    ReplyDelete