Wednesday, August 11, 2010

IV- Connotation of Funny

In this chapter, funny is used to describe a couple of very different scenarios and a couple of very different feelings. I always think of something as funny when I laugh at a joke or think something said is laughable. So, I guess you could say that for me laughing and funny go hand in hand. However, in this chapter, Brett describes Jake's wound as funny and that word choice confused me because a bullet going anywhere in a human body is a tragedy to me. I htink that funny in this situation means unfortunate enough to be ironic because it keeps Brett and Jake apart. Another situation is when Jake says being in love is funny. He later clarifies it as being enjoyable, but neither Brett nor Jake are enjoying this "funny" situation where the funny wound keeps Brett and Jake from living together. I can say that I don't think the situation is funny and I think that it is actually quite sad. Anyway, I think the different meanings and overtones of funny let the situation stand out to the reader. I think Hemingway wanted to show the irony of this love and the humor of, well, the unfortunate events. I had to reread this section many times before I could understand Hemingway's motives because I could not get past the word "funny."

1 comment: