Wednesday, August 11, 2010

V- Foil Friends

This chapter is quite interesting to me because it actually makes me wonder why Jake and Cohn are even friends. It seems that Jake says whatever he feels and is quite blunt about everything. On the other hand though, Cohn takes offense at everything and does not even want to hear the truth. In theit conversation about Brett, I could see that Cohn had already fallen under another woman's spell and that Francis was forgotten. I wonder what will happen to her seeing as Cohn is smitten with Brett. But going back to the friendship thing, Jake is obviously the protagonist and while I do not believe from what I have read so far that Cohn is the antagonist, I think he is the foil of Jake. Jake seems to strong, not quite happy but okay with his situation, does not have a love but is not pining for someone he cannot have, and mostly importantly, has had an adventure. Cohn is weak and overly-sensitive, discontented with his place in life, has a steady relationship but is head-over-heels in love with a woman he just met, and has not had an adventure worth telling anybody. I think it is safe to assume that while Jake and Cohn are friends, Cohn is jealous of the fact that Jake has "lived" while Cohn is stuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment