Wednesday, November 17, 2010

"A Worn Path" #6

I, like the student, asked the question, "is the grandson dead?" I asked this question because Phoenix traveled such a long and hard path to get medicine, only to forget for a while why she actually made the trip. I think that Phoenix is becoming senile or has dementia because she does not have any hurry once she gets there until she remembers. Also, the condition that the nurse describes does not seem like it could be treated with just soothing medicine. I think the remark is really quite brilliant and can be seen as an answer because I don't think it matters if the grandson is alive or dead. I only think it matters what Phoenix is like. She makes this difficult journey every week which shows obvious love for her grandson. So, it doesn't matter if he is alive because she still makes the faithful journey, even though it is hard for an old woman, and brings back the medicine. I think the trip is a ritual for her and is necessary for her character. So since Phoenix is alive, it doesn't matter if the grandson is, because the story is not about his character and journey-- the theme she portrays-- it is about Phoenix's.

No comments:

Post a Comment