Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"How I Met My Husband"

I was also surprised by this surprised ending. I think it is interesting how the author spends the majority of the story talking about Chris and spends one paragraph talking about her husband. This probably has to do with the element of surprise, but I also pick up a regretful tone almost when talking about her husband. She describes their relationship as numbers without any real emotions. The only time she ever displays an emotion regarding her husband is when she laughed when he tells their kids the story. In addition Edie says, "I like for people to think what pleases them and makes them happy." This quote really got me because it made me doubt Edie as a person and her relationship with her husband. She seems to have no fight in her and goes with the flow. Also, if she does what makes people happy, there is a possibility that she married her husband because it made him happy. I think Edie had always been that way, instead of becoming that way when Chris never wrote her, because she never seemed to have a fight in her. She let Chris kiss her without a fight, although she might have had feelings for her, and she let everybody push her around. I think it was just the type of person she was.

No comments:

Post a Comment