Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"Everyday Use" my thoughts

Something I found especially interesting in this story was Dee's bipolar attitude towards her heritage. In the beginning, she hated it and hated the house. She dressed stylishly and went to school, so she did not want to embrace her culture. However, years later she did a 180 and took on the culture of her African ancestors. I thought this was interesting because I think either way Dee is rejecting her culture. I might be going out of the cone of meaning on this one, but Dee is reverting back to her African roots, but still denying her African-American roots. African-Americans have just as much to be proud of and have a very vibrant culture themselves. I read the little blurb on the short story and it said that a lot of members of the black community rejected the names they inherited from slavery and went back to African names. They saw that as a rebellious towards white people in general, but I think that they were mostly rebelling against the family and the close-knit communities they came from. By embracing her ancient roots, Dee is rejecting her family, community, and roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment