Saturday, July 31, 2010

XIII- Racism

In this chapter, Mike makes a comment about Brett going off with men before, but never Jews. This seems like quite a antisemitic comment and while the Jewish people had not been persecuted in the Holocaust yet, it still struck me hard. Were Jewish people considered that badly by American people too and what caused them to have such discrimination towards them? I do not know if Hemingway was antisemitic, but I wonder if Robert Cohn being described as the instigator had anything to do with it. Cohn seems to cause tensions not only as a result of his feelings for Brett, but also with the feeling of emptiness in his life and his wavering loyalty to his friends. The narrator also doesn't seem to know what to think about Cohn because he is his friend. Cohn is also described as self-centered, shady with his intentions (mostly towards Brett, especially in San Sebastian), and an angry person. I may be missing something, but I have not seen a part yet where Cohn decided to do something for Jake that didn't benefit himself. So I come to the conclusion, which is quite possibly wrong, that Hemingway harbored some small feelings of antisemitism or racism that wound their way up in one of his characters. While Cohn seems to be a pig headed man with wavering loyalty, I do feel sorry for him and his plight.

1 comment: