Thursday, July 8, 2010

Changes (Ch. 9)

I was surprised by the story of the Sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong, be it true or false. I think I was surprised most by the complete 360 that this girl completed in Vietnam. I did not think it was possible for such a change to be made, that someone goes from being a happy, bubbly person to being a... a monster, is what comes to mind. To change someones very nature is what this reversal would take I believe and I am sure that I would never want to go through what that young woman went through even if she liked it. I also wonder what the difference between the soldiers and the woman was that she had been affected so in a shorter time period than the soldiers who had been fighting for months. What caused her to flip, and more importantly, what kept the soldiers from flipping? I think it might be that need and desire to go home. They had been forced over as a result of a draft, so their efforts were on surviving long enough to go home. The woman had wanted to come, so I don't think she was as immune as the men were. All I can say is that I hope the story is made up because the woman reverted to cannibalism and voodoo crud which is weird (pardon my judging).

2 comments: