Friday, July 9, 2010

Too Abstract (Ch. 16)

When I read this chapter, I don't think I was too surprised that Norman Bowker took his own life. From his flashbacks in a previous chapter, I could see the PTSD working and his need for release. I am sad that medication and help was not available then for him because no matter what he said about the Silver Star, he was still a hero. What stuck out most to me was how Bowker could not hold down a job after the war. I do not know if that was the PTSD or whether nothing could capture his attention as the war had done. I thought about all of our enlisted soldiers now who are not fighting oversees and I wondered if there was anything like that after Vietnam. I think it would have helped Bowker tremendously to be stationed at a place like Camp Atterbury so he could still feel the military influence. Now, maybe there was something like that and Bowker was too tired of war to re-enlist, but I think that it would have kept him from taking his life if he felt like he still held a military purpose.

1 comment: