Thursday, July 8, 2010

Hero Cycle (Ch. 4)

This is out of order, but I forgot about this chapter when writing blogs.
When I read this chapter, I remembered the Hero Cycle from World Lit. I remembered that in the cycle, the Hero is called, then refuses the call at first, and then gets "supernatural" help form a mentor. I think the Hero Cycle fits in particularly well with this chapter and with Tim O'Brien as the Hero. He is drafted by the board in Minnesota and spends the summer cursing the war he was too good for. He doesn't think that he should have to go to war, after all, he is a smart kid and a liberal to boot. So, he refuses his draft and considers fleeing to Canada to escape his draft. Enter stage right our mentor, Elroy Berdahl, who does not say much, but is who helps our Hero through his difficult time. Eventually, Tim O'Brien returns home to go off to war because he realizes that he must because he would be too embarrassed not to. Thus completes the Departure Stage of the Hero Cycle.
I must say I was quite proud of myself for putting two and two together. =D

1 comment: