Thursday, September 30, 2010

"My Mistress' Eyes"

When I read this I automatically thought of a ridiculous line in Dawn of the Dinosaurs(don't judge, yes I watch animated movies!). "I fell in love with a pineapple- an UGLY pineapple! But I love her." At first this poem reminded me of this silly kid's movie because I thought that the speaker is saying that his love is not the prettiest but he loves her. However, after discussion, I realized that the speaker is actually saying more by contrasting her to the objects that most people of the time compared women to. The speaker is satirizing the men who wrote poems to women and compared their beauty to the sun and the snow. The speaker makes the argument that his lover's eyes cannot be like the sun, because they are not the sun, but she is just as beautiful as the women who are having those poems written for them. I think the honesty of the speaker makes this poem more beautiful and true than the other poems written because of the "lies." Also his love for this woman is rare because it is not made under false pretenses like some are. It is rare because it is not exaggerated, it is honest, and it is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment