Thursday, September 9, 2010

#17- "Spring"

I learned something today and it is that this poem in a sonnet, an Italian sonnet to be exact. I did some research on sonnets because I did not have any idea of what they were besides eight lines followed by 6 lines and I wanted to understand the author's reasoning behind writing in this form. The first eight lines formed a description, while the next six lines formed the comment. In this poem, I think that the speaker is describing new life and innocence and how Spring is used as a symbol. The new grass, the eggs, and the lamb especially represent new life. Additionally, I think the frolicking of the lambs represents the innocence of youth. The six lines at the end are sent up as a prayer and possibly a warning. The speaker is noticing the changing lifestyles and the loss of innocence and is commenting on how the young kids will not be innocent but will be "sour with sinning." The prayer, which is sent up to heaven, is also an important part because not only is the speaker commenting on the loss, but he is pleading and praying that they will change.

No comments:

Post a Comment