Thursday, September 9, 2010

#8- "The Widow's Lament in Springtime"

I automatically thought of the juxtaposition that occurred in this poem when I read it and that is the normal joy of Spring and the grief of the loss of a loved one. The tone is that grief that is so evident when compared to the new life and joy of spring. The tone is grief, but longing as well because the speaker would rather "sink into a marsh" than live with the grief. This woman is so distraught that she cannot be in her yard because it reminds her of her husband and the happiness they shared together. She can't go to the meadow because the little white flowers that are present remind her of her husband too. I think that the tone has something more than grief though as I think more about it, and I think that despair fits more than grief. She is very sad over the death of her husband, but with the despair comes a panic almost because she is left alone and can't move on. The tone is what stuck out to me in this poem even more than the similes and symbols because I could feel the despair she felt in her tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment