Thursday, September 9, 2010

#12- "The Convergence of the Twain"

I think the mirrors, the "opulent glass," are symbols of the vanity and the grandeur of the ship. This poem seems to focus on human vanity (ln 2) and what can come from it. The ship was designed to be unsinkable and it was decorated as richly as a palace because it was that "special" but still it was reduced to a wreck in the ocean. I think the sea worms could represent how all of the chandeliers, painting, and expensive objects were reduced to nothing. I think the speaker's objective is to use the symbols and our knowledge of the Titanic to warn the human race about the destructiveness of vanity. People of that time were really sad about the sinking, but I think they were also angry. The sinking of the unsinkable ship dented the armor of the human race and I think the vanity was reduced a little. The disaster caused people to be more careful and to doubt their advances.

No comments:

Post a Comment