Thursday, September 9, 2010

#6- "Those Winter Sundays"

The central purpose of this poem is to show the love or lack there of in this household. When I first read this poem I think I skipped over the part about the chronic anger in the household because I felt sorry for the father due to my great relationship with my dad. This shows love because the father gets up in the brutal cold and heats up the house and polishes the shoes, but I think these actions are the only way he could show love. The poem doesn't not show just the temperature cold in winter, but the emotional cold felt by the whole family. The father was never thanked, but he still loved. This poem leads me to believe that something held the family back from love and it could be the anger or it could be the father's job. I think the speaker is also still cold from the anger and lack of love being said. He cannot warm up because he cannot thank his dad for all of the things he has done for him. Something is holding this family back.

1 comment: