Thursday, April 21, 2011

Frankenstein: A Role Reversal

"Slave, I before reasoned with you, but you have proven yourself unworthy of my condescension. Remember that I have power..." pg. 160

This passage interested me because it shows a trade of roles between Frankenstein and his creation. Before, the reader has seen Frankenstein in the role of power since he is the one who created life, but now the roles are reversed. The creation has been through so much in his short life that he is no longer the helpless creature that reached out to his creator. Instead, the creation is calling his creator a slave and lets him know how much power he actually possesses. I think that the creation was not born inherently evil, as we saw by his first moment of life, but I think that humans made him the way he is now. Whether it is him consistently being repudiated or whether the revenge comes from reading about humans in the books he picked up, the creation is very much in a place of power right now with Frankenstein. Victor has been through a lot in the years that he created the monster, but he has had moments of happiness. The creation was only ever happy watching the De Lacey family and that ended in ruins. I think the reason that the monster holds so much power is that he is obviously more superior in frame because that is how Frankenstein made him. Also, even more than physical superiority, I believe the monster is in a state of power because he has nothing in this world to lose, and Victor has everything to lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment