Thursday, April 14, 2011

Frankenstein: No Name?!

"Abhorred monster! Fiend that thou art!" pg. 95 I can't help but feel really sorry for the monster in this novel. Not only has he been rejected by every human he has met and has had to learn everything for himself, but he also has no name. A name is a person's identity and without one, the monster is just that... a monster. I think I am going to name him Jim because he really needs a name. Moving on, in the first twelve chapters of this novel, Frankenstein never called him a name. I think this led to the unidentifiable nature of the "monster." Frankenstein never thought to talk to him or even stay long enough to get a good look at him, so how could he even name him? Frankenstein doesn't seem to care much about the humanity of the monster and he never gives him a chance. It makes me wonder what caused Mary Shelley to create the monster and Frankenstein in this way. The introduction said it is a ghost story, which I understood to be a scary story, but this one is just sad because it says something about humans and those who are different.

No comments:

Post a Comment