Thursday, April 21, 2011

Frankenstein: Dynamic Characters

"That is also my victim. Oh, Frankenstein! Generous and self-devoted being! What does it avail that I now ask thee to pardon me?" pg. 207

The creation has to be one of the most dynamic characters that I have read about and I think that it has to do with the fact that the reader follows him from birth to death. We first see him as a helpless "newborn" who doesn't understand anything and who has a good heart, but is rejected. He then moves to learning and growing, but he still has a very pure heart because he had not had it broken irreparably yet. Then he changes when he is rejected by the De Lacey family and still more when Frankenstein refuses to create a wife for him. Then, finally at the end, he comes around full circle and repents for the pain he has caused and asks a dead Frankenstein for forgiveness. I cannot help but feel sorry for him, even when he murders multiple innocent people, because it was never in his nature to do so. I don't think that the monster, if cared for once in his life, would have caused the pain that he did and I saw that when he is upset over his creator's death. It is really sad actually, that someone who has gone through as much as the monster had, could still feel some affection toward the man who created him and caused his pain to a point.

No comments:

Post a Comment