Thursday, December 2, 2010

"The Lottery" #4

I think the significance of the first box being lost and some of the rituals being forgotten is that the lottery is not as sacred and necessary as some of the town people and especially Old Man Warner claim. If it is so important to their town, I would think that the box would be preserved instead of being lost. Also, I would think that the rituals would be respected; however, they are actually forgotten. I think the line "Lottery in June, corn be heavy soon" best describes the original purpose of the lottery. I think it was a superstition that just kept being practiced long after most would have thought it would end. I think it was kind of like a "sacrifice" for a good corn harvest because corn is a staple. The lottery seems to have ancient roots and nobody from the original lottery is alive to keep things in perspective or to realize it isn't needed. For the town now, it is a mindless task that nobody thinks about or reasons with.

No comments:

Post a Comment