Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Author Likes to FORESHADOW- The Kite Runner

"Rahim Khan had been wrong about the mean streak thing," (pg. 23- end of Ch. 3)

"Because suddenly Afghanistan changed forever," (pg. 34- end of Ch. 4)

"Because that was the winter that Hassan stopped smiling," (pg. 47- end of Ch. 5)

I got tired of flipping to the end of the rest of the chapters, but the author, Khaled Hosseini, has a tendency to end his chapters with a foreshadowing sentence that is dramatic. The affect of these endings make the readers wonder and think and want to read more. However, I think that the real reason for these endings is that it makes the reader think. When I read this book, I tried to tie it into history or find connections and through these I started to understand the meaning of the whole work. I feel that life full of foreshadowing. He also foreshadows in a memory sequence on pgs. 73-74. The author tells of a memory that showed Hassan and Amir getting their fortunes told. Hassan went first and the teller actually gave him back his money which only happens when futures are bad. Amir was going to go, but he was scared, so he let Hassan face the bad future by himself. This foreshadows a potential bad future for Hassan. The foreshadowing is important because I think this is where I started to think that Hassan and Amir were not going to live happily ever after.

1 comment: